Title

Z axis struggling

Hi,

I have had the CR-10 for a couple weeks now and its been a bit of a nightmare trying to get it to print. What I thought was over extrusion on the lower layers, and had me making loads of small adjustments in Cura I have now narrowed down to be a hardware problem. Basically I dont think the z-axis is actually moving up (that or its falling again). This is leading me to have the hot end running through my prints and melting them.

When I try and adjust the axis through the control box, it only goes half way up (at the most) before the stepper makes an audible vibrating sound, and you can tell its sturggling. Its almost like the X axis is too heavy for the motor? I have tried adjusting various bolts without much of a difference.

A video of the issue...

Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix, as Im losing the will to live here... Any suggestions would be massively appreciated.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Petesunder; 03-27-2018 at 03:43 PM.

It's possible the voltage needs to be turned up on the z axis stepper motor inside the control box. Sorry but I don't have any knowledge as to which stepper motor out of the 4 you would need to adjust. Would need to look up that info.

The way I have adjusted the voltage on a different printers extruder (not a CR-10) is to use a ceramic tipped screwdriver and while extruding 100mm of filament, I'd slowly turn the screw on top of the stepper motor in very small increments until the extruder motor quit skipping. But some folks would say the proper way to do it is to use an ohm meter and set it to a specific number.

There's a few videos on YT that discuss adjusting the voltage on stepper motors, you might get lucky finding one specific to the CR-10's and/or your specific issue. Knock on wood that hasn't been a problem with my CR-10S and won't be but it's had a few other issues I've been able to solve.

Support here is few and far between. ie, keep searching the net as you may have better luck obtaining valid support elsewhere.

good luck.
    Last edited by itsonlyahobby; 03-28-2018 at 04:27 AM.

Title
    Two things come to mind. The vertical threaded rods should be free to 'wobble' at the top as they are supposed to be free floating. I have seen comments about the 'sloppy oblong hole' that the bearing sits in and ways/things to print to remove this slack. If you have done something like that recently, that may be the culprit.

Another possibility - I printed and installed a 'hinged filament out detector box' and when I installed it I overtightened the two screws (that hold the brass threaded 'chaser' on the rod) and it put the stepper motor in a bind. I just loosened it a bit and all was well.

Title
    Thanks both for your input... I finally managed to get a fix. I had to adjust VREF on the z axis increasing the voltage to the motor. If anyone else seems to have a similar problem the following gives good guidance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRYXKRAUN4